Sponsored by the NC Museum of History, the Smith-McDowell House chapter of the Tar Heel Junior Historians Association is a vital part WNCHA’s programing. Click here for more of the state-wide club.
Our Chapter (nicknamed SMH over History) is open to school-age students and meets on the 2nd Thursday of each month at 3:30 pm during the school year.
Members receive two magazines per year from the NC Museum of History and there are opportunities in the State Contest program.
The club is open at any time in the year to school-age students (grades 1 – 12). There is a small registration fee of $10 ($5 for each eligible sibling) that helps to defray some costs of programming and supplies. Parents generally participate in the meetings and younger siblings are welcome. New members are always welcome to visit for a couple of meetings before making the decision to join.
Members may also join our Facebook group: SMH Tar Heel Junior Historians. It is a private group which means you have to ask to be a member and we only accept our club members.
- Reenactment of a One-Room Schoolhouse at Hart Square in Hickory, NC. We do this in period costume with teenage members as teachers.
- Smith-McDowell House – Members learn about the history of the House and participate in various volunteer opportunities and leadership roles such as operating some of our hands-on tools and machines (like the butter churn, the corn sheller and grinder and washing machine) on Living History Day. Our members are also called upon to act as assistants with the Crafty Historian events on 3rd Saturdays and other events.
- Service Project – We can participate in the History In Action Award program from the state Tar Heel Jr Historians Association. The Service Project will be discussed at our first meetings.
- THJH Association State Contests – There are a variety of categories such as Essays, Artifact Find, Photography, Poetry, Literature and Art. Rules and requirements are designated by the THJHA and detailed information is available in the fall.
- North Carolina History/Social Studies – Lessons and activities help our members learn more about their state like the State Song and the State Toast as well as historical topics.
For more information, email: [email protected].
Want to know more about the Hart Square reenactment? Check out the slide show HERE and see if it inspires you to join us!!
Want to know more about the State Contests? You have to be a member to participate, but this slide show might just make you want to participate!
Meetings on 2nd Thursdays of the Month at 3:30 pm