THE WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION PRESENTS:
Tarheel Jr Historians
Sponsored by the NC Museum of History, the Smith McDowell House chapter of the Tar Heel Junior Historians Association is a vital part of the Museum. The club is open to school-age boys and girls and meets on the 2nd Thursday of each month at 3:30 pm. Members recieve two magazines per year from the NC Museum of History and there are opportunities in the State Contest program. (see below for information about awards we won last year!) There is a small registration fee of $10 ($5 for each eligible sibling) that helps to defray some costs of programming and supplies. Parents generally participate in the meetings and younger siblings are welcome)
For more information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our focus is on the following activites, but we also include other lessons and programs:
1. Reenactment of a One-Room Schoolhouse at Hart Square in Hickory, NC ( http://www.catawbahistory.org/hart_square.php
) We do this in period costume with teenage members as teachers.
2. Appalachian Music - Members who play instruments are encouraged to bring their instruments to meetings and learn traditional Appalachian songs. We also are learning to sing with shape-note music, too.
3. Smith-McDowell House - Members learn about the history of the old house and participate in various volunteer opportunities such as operating some of our hands-on tools and machines (like the butter churn, the corn sheller and grinder and washing machine) on Living History Day. Our members are also called upon to act as assistants with the Crafty Historian events on 3rd Saturdays and other events.
4. River Clean Up - as part of our Service Project in 2012, we adopted a stream through RiverLink and committed to two river cleanups per year for two years! We will plan a clean up in the fall and the last one will be in the spring.
5. THJH Association State Contests - There are a variety of categories such as Essays, Artifact Find, Photography, Poetry and Service Project
WE LIKE TO MAKE HISTORY FUN!!
NEWS UPDATES (updated 8/1/14)
Asheville, NC - The THJH chapter of the Tar Heel Junior Historians Association at Smith-McDowell House has a nickname: SMH over HISTORY! We think it reflects a joy in learning about the past as well as a nod to the present! Plus the SMH is also the intials of Smith-McDowell House!
At the 2014 State Convention our club was recognized for the History In Action Award (along with the Vance Birthplace THJH) for our volunteer work at Hart Square where we reenact the one room schoolhouse during that living history day. We had a total of 45 children there! One of our members also won a 1st place for her Architectural Detail photograph. Her photo will be displayed at the NC Museum of History in Raleigh during the year.
For more information about the state-wide club, visit www.ncmuseumofhistory.org/thjha
All Rights Reserved © Copyright, 2010
The Western North Carolina Historical Association and Smith-McDowell House Museum
Website Developed by Ouziad Designs