THE WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION PRESENTS:
Tarheel Jr Historians
SMH over History
Sponsored by the NC Museum of History, the Smith McDowell House chapter of the Tar Heel Junior Historians Association is a vital part of the Center. The club is open to school-age boys and girls and meets on the 2nd Thursday of each month at 3:30 pm (August - May).
Members recieve two magazines per year from the NC Museum of History and there are opportunities in the State Contest program. (see below for the link to the state club).
The club is open at any time in the year to school-age students (grades 1 - 12)There is a small registration fee of $10 ($5 for each eligible sibling) that helps to defray some costs of programming and supplies. (Parents generally participate in the meetings and younger siblings are welcome) New members are always welcome to visit for a couple of meetings before making the decision to join.
For more information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our focus is on the following activites, but we also include other lessons and programs:
1. Reenactment of a One-Room Schoolhouse at Hart Square in Hickory, NC ( http://www.catawbahistory.org/hart_square.php
) We do this in period costume with teenage members as teachers.
2. Appalachian Music - Members who play instruments are encouraged to bring their instruments to meetings and learn traditional Appalachian songs. We also are learning to sing with shaped-note music, too.
3. Smith-McDowell House - Members learn about the history of the old house and participate in various volunteer opportunities such as operating some of our hands-on tools and machines (like the butter churn, the corn sheller and grinder and washing machine) on Living History Day. Our members are also called upon to act as assistants with the Crafty Historian events on 3rd Saturdays and other events.
4. Service Project - Our 2016 Project has not been identified yet, but we are considering three options.
5. THJH Association State Contests - There are a variety of categories such as Essays, Artifact Find, Photography, Poetry and Service Project
NEWS UPDATES (updated 10/23/2015)
Saturday, October 24, our club will be at Hart Square near Hickory for a very large living history event. We will reenact a one room school house of the late 19th century, complete with spelling, reading, arithmetic, recitations and more. This annual event benefits the Catawba County Historical Association and is visited by thousands of visitors!
In the pictures below, you see a group of our club in the schoolhouse, ready for our lessons. Also our quilt which was part of our 2015 Service Project and was donated to Elizabeth House in Hendersonville, NC. The bottom row shows us leading the singing of the State Song, "The Old North State", and the State Toast at the Tar Heel Junior Historians Association convention at the NC Museum of History in Raleigh, NC and a visit to the Western Archives in Asheville, NC.
We will post our Hart Square photos very soon!!
For more information about the state-wide club, visit www.ncmuseumofhistory.org/thjha
All Rights Reserved © Copyright, 2010
The Western North Carolina Historical Association and Smith-McDowell House Museum
Website Developed by Ouziad Designs